Sunday, April 17, 2011

Rough Day

We had tornadoes last night.  I'm ok, but Jacksonville and Camp Lejeune were hit.  From what I can tell all my friends are ok.  It was a pretty intense night last night.

I had gone to an event that my Jr. Company Dancers were dancing in.  After about an hour there, one of the moms got a call from her boss and he said that the town he lived in (near Wallace, NC) was hit with a tornado and that many buildings were destroyed.  So the moms and I went over to one of the brick buildings at the church.  The building we had been in was a big metal warehouse type building that they use for a gym.  So not the safest building.  One of the moms was on the phone with someone, when Skip Waters , he was suppose to emcee the event, said on live news that the storm was heading for us and to get in a safe place.  So she went over to the gym and let everyone know while we waited.  We hung out in the hallway of the Sunday School building, for about 15-20 minutes.  A tornado had touched down about 3 miles away from where we were.  I waited a bit longer because the storm was headed towards my house, and I didn't want to drive into it. 

I got home safely and nothing had happened in our area, not even rain, just some wind. But the clouds in the Jville direction were nasty.  We still had a warning for Onslow County so I kept my eyes on the news.  About 9pm Jville and Camp Lejeune were hit.

I have contacted my FRO's (2 because the Marine is an IA) to let them know that I'm ok.  The Marine knows I'm ok.  He had gotten on yahoo chat, and I let him know about the storms.  He also called later.  We are both concerned about all the Marines that are deployed from Camp Lejeune, because right now they are worried about their families.  Not to be with your family during a time of disaster is frustrating.

In other sad news, I sent an email out to all of my friends and family letting them know we were ok, my FIL responded back saying he just found out that the Marine's cousin passed away sometime during the night or morning.  S (cousin) was about the same age as the Marine.  They aren't sure what the cause was, but apparently he had a similar episode a month ago.  He had a wife and young daughter.  Please keep the Marine's family in your thoughts and prayers.

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.
- Helen Keller


The Dancer

No comments:

Post a Comment