Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Semper Gumby

The Marine Corps has a moto, Semper Fi, Always Faithful. The families of Marines have adapted that moto to, Semper Gumby, Always Flexible.

We just found out that the Marine is deploying. We knew he would go sometime, but they had said it would be awhile before he would go. So this is a bit of a surprise, but not unexpected because I know things can and will change with the USMC. It just happened that a spot opened up that is in his rank. So he heads off sometime in 2011.

This has changed our mind set for the next few months and some of our plans. This is why families use Semper Gumby. You kind of have to expect the unexpected sometimes.

When the Marine told me about it, I laughed. It wasn't an, "OMG, this is so funny!" laugh. It was a, "this is ironic laugh." It's amazing how this deployment is mirroring the last deployment. He'll be doing a similar job, it's the same length (a freaking long time!) At least it's not like the first one where he came home and said, "So, I'm deploying"

I ask, "When?" In my head I was thinking Oh, we have a few months to get ready for it.

He replies with, "I leave in 10 days." Yep, with those words I started crying. Well, actually I tried to hold them back, but as I sat there and tired not to cry they just starting building up. Then they just started pouring out!

The Marine said that laughter was better than crying. Right now, I'm doing pretty good. Sometimes, I have a sad moment, like when I'm alone in the car driving, too much time to think! I'm sure that as time goes on and we get closer to the deployment my emotions will be a roller coaster. We'll get through this, like last time. We just have to take one day at a time, and to roll with the punches.

So Semper Gumby!

The Dancer

No comments:

Post a Comment