Monday, November 22, 2010

Dance, Dance, Dance!

Ok, finally a post about dance! I know everything has been about the the deployment. I just spent the weekend at Greensboro, NC at DTI. DTI is a dance competition. They also have have master classes, so it was a well rounded weekend of dance!

I took some great classes! I was able to take a Musical Theatre Class, the teacher was in the Fosse Tour in 2003-2004 and he was a dance captain. He taught us part of the the trumpet solo from Sing, Sing, Sing. It was so good to do Fosse again! I also took two great lyrical/comptemporary classes, a jazz class, and one Bollywood class. I had always wanted to try Bollywood! It was great to take classes again. There is something about taking a classes, it rejuvenates you. It definitely gave me ideas for my classes and even gave me ideas for choreography!

So not only did I take classes, but I watched my dancers perform and I watched tons of other dancers from other dance schools. I saw some amazing dancers and dance pieces. My dancers did great! We did have a music mishap, for whatever reason the CD wouldn't work even though we tested before we left. Luckily, I had my Ipod, with the cut version, so we just hooked it up and the girls danced their hearts out! They didn't let it get to them! They were awesome!

Many of the dance pieces were very moving and beautiful. There was one piece that the sister studio of the school I teach for did, and it made me cry. I actually saw the piece about a month and half ago. I knew what it was about, and the meaning behind it. But now, it has a different meaning for me. It's to a song called One Moment More by Mindy Smith. Here is the song on YouTube, .

The choreographer created this for her Senior Company, half of them are graduating and moving on, the other half are staying because they aren't done with school. The group is really close, and this is a very emotional and personal piece for them. Well, the movement and emotion the dancers put into it hit home with me with my Marine leaving. The younger dancers don't want the older dancers to go, so there are parts where they are clinging onto their partners, or they step up to hug their partner and the older dancer steps away. On the inside, I feel like doing some of the things they did in the dance. It's a beautiful piece and I think many people can relate to it in their own way.

The weekend was a great weekend. It was made fantastic to be moved by a piece, and that is part of what dancing and art in general is about about.

On that note, I'll leave you with this. "Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another." ~anonymous

The Dancer

No comments:

Post a Comment