Sunday, May 1, 2011

Where Were You on May 1, 2011?

President Obama just announced that Osama Bin Laden has been killed and that his body was recovered on May 1, 2011.  This is from the information that I have gotten from the news.

I have mixed feelings.  I am glad that we finally got him, I had a quick moment of "Thank God!"  Since I have heard the news I have had a heavy heart.  I can't celebrate this because this war is far from over, and with this news I worry for our troops that are currently in theatre and will be going over there.  I worry about the retaliation.  Maybe I'm more concerned because the Marine is a Marine and is over there right now, I have many friends that have husbands that over there, and we also have friends there.  I worry that the next few months will be harder than they already have been.  I worry that homecomings and R&Rs will be delayed or postponed, I worry that our troops may have to go over sooner than they expected. 

Bin Laden's death can be a good thing or a bad thing.  Things could calm down since they don't have a leader or mastermind.  Or things could get worse because of those same things, they just might go crazy.  I guess the coming days and weeks will prove what the outcome is.

The bases in my area changed the Force Protection Condition to BRAVO today.  I think this was why.

So where was I on May 1, 2011 when I found out?  I was in my living room waiting for President Obama to come on the air, at 10:30pm.  Then the Marine called shortly before 11pm.  We waited another half hour for him come on the air, and then we heard the news together.  Nearly 10 years after 9/11 he was killed.  A bit of a bitter sweet moment.

Just remember this doesn't mean it's the end, or that it should be the end.  For all we know this end could be the beginning.  Of what?  We will just have to wait and see.  This is far from over, both of these quotes are fitting.

"The death of Bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nations effort to defeat Al-Queda. Yet his death does not mark the end of our effort. There's no doubt that Al-Queda will continue to pursue attacks against us. We must and we will remain vigilant at home and abroad" ~ President Barack Obama

"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done." ~ President George W. Bush


.

No comments:

Post a Comment